Commercial and Free Adobe Photoshop Plugins, Filters
Within the Adobe Photoshop Plugins, Filters, and Standalone Software Programs page below you'll find free and commerical Photoshop plugins, filters. Most or all of them provide a downloadable trial with full or partial functioning, which is a great way to try something out to help decide if it's appropriate for your needs. All listings below come highly recommended, and I've personally tried and used quite a few of the plugins and standalone programs listed here.
See also Graphics Software Filters and Plugins for graphics software plugins, filters, actions, brushes, standalone graphics software versions, and more for Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Adobe After Effects, and other compatible graphics software that supports .8bf format, .ico format, and provides Photoshop-compatible plugins and filters support.
Do you know of helpful Photoshop articles, tutorials, books, plugins, actions, filters, brushes, patterns, textures, or resources related to Photoshop, Web graphics, photography, or graphics software programs? Recommendations are welcome and appreciated!
On this page:
Also within Adobe Photoshop Tutorials, Articles, Resources, Books, Software (8 pages):
- Adobe Photoshop Tutorials, Books, and Software
- Adobe Photoshop for Photos, Photography: Articles, Tutorials, Books, and Software
- Adobe Photoshop Product Information, Documentation, Technotes, Photoshop Software Reviews
- Adobe Photoshop Actions
- Adobe Photoshop Brushes
- Adobe Photoshop Patterns
- Adobe Photoshop Discussion Lists, Forums, Sites, Blogs, Resources
Also within Graphics Software, Tutorials (24 pages):
- Adobe Fireworks Tutorials, Articles, Extensions, Discussion Lists, Resources, Books
- Adobe Flash Tutorials, Articles, Resources, Discussion Lists, Books, Software
- Adobe Illustrator Tutorials, Articles, Brushes, Symbols, Discussion Lists, Resources, Books, Software (7 pages)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Tutorials, Product Information, Sites, Blogs, Resources, Books, and Software
- CorelDRAW Tutorials, Articles, Resources, Books
- Corel Paint Shop Pro Tutorials, Articles, Resources, Books
- Swish, Other Animation / Multimedia Graphics Software Tutorials, Resources
- Icon Creation and Editing Software and Plugins, and Related Tutorials
- Freehand, Other Graphics Software, and Related Tutorials, Articles, Resources
Books, Video Training on Adobe Photoshop
Recommended by WebsiteTips.com
Find more Photoshop Books and Software Recommendations
here at WebsiteTips.com!
All of the plugins and filters listed in this section are designed to work with Adobe Photoshop. Some also work with other graphics software, such as Corel Paint Shop Pro. Be sure to check the product information for software versions and compatibility.
Why use plugins? In a nutshell, plugins can dramatically speed up the process of fixing photos and images, adding textures or special effects, and much more, whether or not you could do them yourself without a plugin. Many plugins also include features to tweak the plugin settings to your liking, and some allow you to save your settings as presets to reuse, too. Plugins can also do things with the click of a button that perhaps you don't know how to do yourself or don't have time to learn how to do yourself. They can be handy, convenient, give high quality results, and be incredibly time-saving.
Are plugins worth purchasing? While some of Websitetips.com's plugin listings are for free plugins, all or nearly all of the commercial plugin makers provide free trial downloads that include full features or partial functionality for a limited time. Then you can determine for yourself if a particular plugin is worth purchasing for your particular needs. WebsiteTips.com is also selective in all of our listings - we're after quality, not quantity in our listings here. Websitetips.com also welcomes feedback and recommendations.
Commercial and Free Plugins, Filters (Individual Plugins, Filters)
- AFH Beveler Plugin Filters
Easily create chiseled, beveled edges for photos, buttons, other images. For Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro. Free plug-in for Windows. [Software by AFH Systems Group.]
- ArtStudio Pro
Three plugins to transform your photos into watercolors, drawings, oil pointings:
- ArtStudio Pro, Vol 1: Colored Pencil, Crayon, Marker, Technical Pen or Watercolor
- ArtStudio Pro, Vol 2: Oil, Oil Pastel, Chalk, Charcoal or Finger Paint
- ArtStudio Pro, Vol 3: Aged Paint, Artistic Edges, Colored Edges, Cracked Paint, DaVinci, Painted Backaground, Sketch, Sketch Graphite, Vintage Paper, and Vintage Scene
- KPT, by Corel
Fabulous plug-in, originally created by Kai Krause and previously sold by MetaCreations. Included are 10 plug-ins: KPT® Goo, KPT® Equalizer, KPT® Projector, KPT® Gel, KPT® LensFlare, KPT® Turbulence, KPT® Materializer, KPT® Reaction, KPT® SceneBuilder, KPT® SkyEffects. The possibilities are endless. WebsiteTips.com wholeheartedly recommends KPT6. For Windows and Macintosh. [Software via Corel.]
- NVR BorderMania(tm)
Need a fast, easy way to make buttons? There are at least 16 variations with this free plug-in and a new and improved reasonably-priced BorderMania Pro. For Paint Shop Pro, PhotoImpact, PhotoPaint, Photoshop, Picture Publisher and others. For Windows. [Software by New Virtual Research.]
- Snap Art
Need to create the look of pastels, watercolor painting, pencil sketch, pointillism, pen and ink, comics, or other artwork? Check out Snap Art. Hundreds of preset settings, or create your own. Check out their online examples to get an idea of the results. “Snap Art creates beautiful, natural media artwork in a single step. Render any image in an unlimited variety of real-world art styles including oil paint, pencil sketch, pen & ink, comics, and more. Great for stylizing photos or graphics, Snap Art works without laborious hand editing and is more versatile than Actions or brushes.” [Software by Alien Skin Software.]
- Turbo Mask, by Paravue
Turbo Mask is a Photoshop plugin that automates masking. Learn more at their Web site, sign up for the newsletter, purchase. “Turbo Mask, a plug-in for Photoshop®, delivers its amazing segmentation technology to recognize the subject of an image and generate a mask for it, often without any effort on the part of the user!” [Software by Paravue Corporation.]
Web Sites with Commercial or Free Plugins, Filters
Makers of quite a few powerful, helpful plugins:
- AKVIS Retoucher: for image restoration.
- AKVIS Chameleon: for combining images, photos.
- AKVIS Stamp: image healing tool.
- AKVIS Enhancer: image enhancement, fixing overexposed and underexposed photos, supports HDRI technology.
- AKVIS Coloriage: add natural-looking color to black and white photos.
- AKVIS Noise Buster: “reduces both luminance and color noise on digital images without spoiling other aspects of the photo.”.
- AKVIS Sketch: turn a photo into a realistic-looking sketch. Create “realistic color and B&W drawings that imitate the technique of graphite and color pencil, charcoal and watercolor painting ... AKVIS Sketch provides a convincing result; it comes very close to hand-drawn works of a human artist. Getting a similar result with the standard tools would require expertise in image editing and extensive manipulation with layers, masks, brushes and applying filters.”
- AKVIS Decorator: add textures to your photos, such as “fabrics to stones and metal, from food to nature elements.”
- AKVIS LightShop: a wide range of lighting effects.
- AKVIS Frame Suite: generate frames for your photos and images. Fancy, classic, or from user patterns. Ragged edges, scratched surface, page curl, much more. Ability to save as presets, too.
- Alien Skin
Makers of quite a few popular plugins. For photography:
- Snap Art
- Eye Candy
- Image Doctor
- Alien Skin Filters used with Photoshop
by Laurie McCanna. Good tips here.
- AV Bros. Photoshop Plugins
Offer several popular commercial plugins: AV Bros. Page Curl Pro, AV Bros. Puzzle Pro and AV Bros. Page Curl. For Windows and Macintosh. [Software by AV Bros..]
- Auto F/X
Available as a Photoshop plugin or as a standalone product. Bundled products include: Photo/Graphic Edges, Mystical Lighting, Mystical Tint Tone and Color, DreamSuite Series One, DreamSuite Series Two, DreamSuite Gel Series - each of which contains a variety of plugin effects. Plugins for Photoshop. Plugins, standalone products for Windows and Macintosh. [Software by Auto FX Software.]
- Edge and Frame Galaxy
Previously found via i/us (bought out by Eyewire 12-2000), back by popular demand, this plugin has over 1500 filters and effects. Fun to play with and lots of very useful and practical effects for professional or hobby work with your graphics program. Available by download or by CD-ROM. Works with a multitude of graphics software. For Windows: Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Corel Photo-Paint, Corel Painter, Ulead PhotoImpact, Micrografx Picture Publisher, Megalux Ultimate Paint, Xara, Extensis PhotoFrame, Auto F/X Photo/Graphic Edges, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Ulead Media Studio Pro. For Macintosh: Adobe Photoshop, Corel Photo-Paint, Corel Painter, GraphicConverter, Extensis PhotoFrame, Auto F/X Photo/Graphic Edges, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects. For Windows and Macintosh. [Software via The Plugin Site, by Harald Heim.]
- The Filter Factory Galleries and Plugins and Andrew's Filter Collections
Fabulous filters and plugins that are also all free (dozens and dozens of interesting effects and hours of fun and experimenting). They've been around quite awhile and are well-known for being great plugins and filters. Download individually or entire collections. For Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro. For Windows and Macintosh. [Software via Steve's Desktop Photography.]
- Flaming Pear
Home of the highly popular BladePro and SuperBladePro plugins, Flaming Pear offers a variety of fabulous and inexpensive plugins, such as Flood, LunarCell, Melancholytron, Hue and Cry, and more for your graphics programs. See below for tutorials, presets, and more for Flaming Pear plugins. For Windows and Macintosh. [Software by Flaming Pear Software.]
- ICO Format Plugin for Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro
This works with all versions of Photoshop, including CS, CS2, CS3, and it also works with Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements 3+. I've used this plugin to save
.ICOformat files with Photoshop CS, CS2, CS3, and it works flawlessly. Version 1.8b4 and later can also open
.CUR(cursor) files. In addition to the ICO Format plugin, you'll find quite a few interesting plugins there for Windows and Mac. [Donationware plugin provided by telegraphics.]
- ICOBundle Utility
“While the ICOFormat plugin creates ICO files containing a single icon only, ICOBundle combines multiple ICO images, of different sizes and/or colour depths, into a single ICO file. Available as a drag'n'drop application on Mac OS Classic/OS X and 68K, or as a command-line tool (built from GPL source) for Linux, OS X, other UNIX variants, and DOS.” [Donationware plugin provided by telegraphics.]
- Neat Image
Neat Image is available as a plugin and as a stand-alone product. The very popular and highly regarded Neat Image is “a filter designed to reduce visible noise and grain in photographic images produced by digital cameras and scanners. Neat Image is indispensable in low-light (indoors, night, astro) and high-speed (sport, action) photography. It is a tool for both professional photographers and digital image processing enthusiasts.” For Windows, Macintosh, Linux Wine. [Software by ABSoft.]
Makers of a variety of popular, highly regarded plugins for Photoshop:
- PhotoKit - “a photographer's Plug-in toolkit comprising effects that offer accurate digital replications of analog photographic effects.”
- PhotoKit Sharpener - “a Photoshop Plug-in that provides a complete Sharpening Workflow - capture to creative to output sharpening.”
- PhotoKit Color - “a Photoshop Plug-in that applies precise color corrections, automatic color balancing and creative coloring effects.”
- PhotoKit EL - “gives you all the wonders of a darkroom without the chemicals, letting you achieve the same effects on digital images that you once could only do in a darkroom.”
- PhotoKit EL 3 - “has the same effects as PhotoKit-EL but is designed specially for Elements 3.0.”
- The Plugin Site
Formerly part of the i/us site that was bought by Eyewire, the Plugin Site has familiar freeware and shareware products - the Edge and Frame Galaxy (1500+ filters and effects), Harry Filters (50 free filters), Plugin Commander (manage all your filters), Plugin Galaxy (150 filters), HTML Shrinker, and more. Fantastic site that has grown and improved with time. For a multitude of graphics software programs. For Windows and Macintosh. [Software via The Plugin Site, by Harald Heim.]
Flaming Pear BladePro and SuperBladePro Plugins for Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro
- Flaming Pear
Main Website for BladePro and SuperBladePro. BladePro and SuperBladePro are great plug-ins for Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, and other graphics programs. They offer other plug-ins as well. Inexpensive, and trial downloads are available through their website.
- Blade Pro Tutorial
by Web Graphics on a Budget.
Flaming Pear BladePro, SuperBladePro Presets
- SuperBladePro Presets
by LinkwareGraphics.com, sponsored by SKDesigns. One of the first sites to offer presets for the new SuperBladePro (released September 2000). Over 100 presets in shiny metal and glass (shiny gold sample shown here), textures, pastels and muted tones, dark and rich colors and more at this unique, rapidly growing, and diverse collection.
- Dami's Demesne BladePro Presets
More gorgeous presets here. Huge collection, well displayed.
- Julie's SuperBladepro Presets
Nice collection of presets here with a variety of colors, textures.
- SuperBladePro Presets, by Kay's Kreations
Fairly extensive collection of presets in a wide range of colors and textures by Kay's Kreations. Download individual presets or an entire page's presets.
- SuperBladePro Presets, by Meadows Studio
Glass, sparkle, textures, pastels, stained glass lead, candy canes, Christmas, valentines, more. By the Meadows Studio.
- the Blading Basket
Over 10,000 presets for BladePro and SuperBladePro. Unfortunately they're not categorized at all, and there's no site search, although each page has its preset names in alphabetical order. Amazing volume here!
- BladePro WebRing
Check out all the sites with BladePro presets, information, tips, tutorials. Or join the BladePro Ring
Recommended by WebsiteTips.com
Read short reviews and find more book recommendations on Web site-related topics in our Recommended Books, Software section!