Section 1: W3C XML Recommendations, Information, and Tutorials
Within the W3C XML Recommendations section below you'll find helpful annotated links to W3C Recommendations for XML and more via the W3C's Web site related to XML.
On this page:
- Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Third Edition) [W3C Recommendation 04 February 2004.]
- Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.1 [W3C Recommendation 04 February 2004, edited in place 15 April 2004.]
- Associating Style Sheets with XML
W3C's official recommendations for associating style sheets with XML. Links to further information and details, too.
- Canonical XML
This recommendation provides a method for generating a physical representation, the canonical form, of an XML document that accounts for the permissible changes.
- Exclusive XML Canonicalization Version 1.0
This recommendation allows excluding the ancestor context from a canonicalized subdocument, including all of the namespace declarations and attributes in the "xml:" namespace. New recommendation July 18, 2002.
- Namespaces in XML
W3C Recommendation and normative reference for XML namespaces. [World Wide Web Consortium 14-January-1999.]
- Namespaces in XML 1.1 [W3C Recommendation 4 February 2004.]
- xml:id Version 1.0 [W3C Recommendation 9 September 2005.]
- XML Inclusions (XInclude) Version 1.0 [W3C Recommendation 20 December 2004.]
- XML Information Set (Second Edition)
W3C Recommendation for the XML Information Set, specifications for “a set of definitions for use in other specifications that need to refer to the information in an XML document”. [W3C Recommendation 4 February 2004.]
- XML Linking Language (XLink) Version 1.0
W3C's XML link specification that allows elements to be inserted into XML documents to create and describe links between resources. [W3C Recommendation 27 June 2001.]
- XML Schema: Formal Description
W3C's formal description of XML types and validity as defined by the XML Schema Part 1: Structures.
- XML Signature Syntax and Processing
This recommendation specifies XML digital signature processing rules and syntax.
W3C XML Information, Tutorials
- Extensible Markup Language (XML)
W3C's official information all about XML. Read core working drafts, find software for XML, validating, discussion groups, recommended reading and links, and more.
- Guide to the W3C XML Specification
Authoritative guide and detailed report by/for the W3C. Very thorough specifications for XML.
- XML in 10 points
W3C's introductory tutorial to the world of XML, reviewing the highlights. Great place to start or to get a quick overview of XML.